Stop Sympl creating www.sub.example.org

Problem Description

Is there a way to stop Sympl from automatically making a www.sub.example.org entry (certificates, Apache etc.) when I create sub.example.org? I usually want this behaviour for the plain domain (e.g. example.org should also generate www.example.org) but not on subdomains (e.g. sub.example.org should not generate www.sub.example.org).

Environment

• Sympl Version [9.0/10.0]: 10.0
  • Sympl Testing Version? No
  • Debian Version [Buster/Stretch]: Buster
  • Hardware Type? [Dedicated/Virtual/Pi] Virtual
  • Hosted On? [name of hosting co] Mythic Beasts
1 Like

Not at the moment, but the option to specifically set sub-domains is planned for the future, but touches a lot of things, so is some way off.

As is, this is only exposed in Apache, so if you don’t have the DNS pointed at the server, it’ll be okay with that, and SSL certs will be okay with the plain domain.

1 Like

I had this problem and assumed that the SSL system would need www.sub.example.com in the DNS to fully function. Can you confirm that when sub.example.com exists in the DNS, but www.sub.example.com doesn’t, then the certificate will be issued and renewed for the single sub-domain?

Yes, that’s correct - as long as there’s one valid DNS entry pointing to the server, then sympl-ssl should be fine.

If the configuration changes (i.e. www.subdomain.example.com goes away and is replaced with subdomain.example.com or vice versa) you may need to run sympl-ssl --verbose --force subdomain.example.com to trigger it to get a new certificate, as the check for a valid cert are based on expiry and having any valid names on it.

The first time you run sympl-ssl --verbose sub.example.org it will try to generate a certificate which includes www.sub.example.org, however the end result is a certificate only for sub.example.org (assuming www.sub.example.org either doesn’t exist in DNS or doesn’t point to Sympl).

If you want to see an example, talks.phpdeveloper.org.uk has one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.