Spam not being tagged nor moved to the Spam folder

Sorry to trouble again, but I’m having some trouble with the Antispam feature

Problem Description

Although I have created the file …/config/antispam with the text “tag”, spam is still not being tagged nor filtered into the Spam folder.

Any Error Messages

None seen on logs, but I am not very good at this so may not be looking in the right place

Environment

• Sympl Version [9.0/10.0]: 10
  • Debian Version [Buster/Stretch]: Buster
  • Hardware Type? [Dedicated/Virtual/Pi] Dedicated
  • Sympl Testing Version? [Yes/No] No

The spam filtering isn’t particularly great out of the box - it’s the Debian shipped SpamAssassin, which is unlikely to catch much compared to commercial options.

It should however be writing headers to mails with the spam scores and other tracking information. Can you confirm if that’s the case?

To help improving the spam filtering, I train Spam Assasin with what I think is spam based on what’s in the Junk and Spam folders in any mailbox, I run the following command in the crontab:

@daily sa-learn --ham /srv/*/mailboxes/*/Maildir/ && sa-learn --spam /srv/*/mailboxes/*/Maildir/.Junk/ /srv/*/mailboxes/*/Maildir/.Spam/

The ham teaches it what’s good, the spam teaches it what’s spam. If a message moves from one to the other it get re-trained as appropriate.

1 Like

Thank you for the cron job, I’ll definitely add that one.

This is interesting. I have a catchall email address. From what I can see, the messages to the existing email address are being being tagged with Spam headers, the messages directed to “non existent” mailboxes are not being checked by SpamAssassin.

1 Like

Hmm, interesting. Are they getting the relevant entries added in the headers?

No, it would appear they’re bypassing SpoamAssassin altogether.

I’m pretty sure that’s an issue that was in Symbiosis also.

I suspect it may be something simple like the order of the rules needs to be swapped around, but I’ll have to take a proper look.

I’ve logged an issue for now.

Ah, thank you
It’s good to know it’s not me going crazy or doing something wrong :slight_smile:

Any progress on this?

Not so far - I haven’t had chance to have a proper look with the holidays, although it’s close to the top of my list.