Service test report email address

Problem Description

Yesterday I was moving some domains across from my old Symbiosis server and was having problems with Letsencrypt certificates. For a short while something happened that upset Apache and some other services. This was fixed by deleting the config/ssl folders that had come across from the old server and re-running “sympl-ssl --verbose”. So that is one question - should Migrating from Symbiosis - Sympl Wiki recommend not copying across the config/ssl folders?

However when this happened I later discovered that various “Service test report” emails had been sent to root@server rather than root@server.blah.blah.blah. I did however get the bounce reports to the correct place :slight_smile:

Any Error Messages

“Service test report” emails bounce.

Environment

• Sympl Version [10.0]:
  • Debian Version [Buster]:
  • Hardware Type? [Brightbox VPS]
  • Sympl Testing Version? [No]

At the moment, the sympl-monit (aka symbiosis-monit) stuff uses a truncated set of libraries compared to the rest of Sympl, which means things like the hostname identification work differently, and are oddly inconsistent.

This may be something like the mails being sent to root, which is then expanded to root@hostname by exim, rather than root@full.host.name.

@fogma: can you let me know what the content of your /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts and /etc/mailname are? I suspect Brightbox may do things a slightly different order, which is tripping the old code up.

The email got sent to root@srv-fde6n so it looks like it created the email address from /etc/hostname.

/etc/hostname:

srv-fde6n

/etc/hosts

# Your system has configured ‘manage_etc_hosts’ as True.
# As a result, if you wish for changes to this file to persist
# then you will need to either
# a.) make changes to the master file in /etc/cloud/templates/hosts.debian.tmpl
# b.) change or remove the value of ‘manage_etc_hosts’ in
# /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg or cloud-config from user-data
#
127.0.1.1 srv-fde6n.gb1.brightbox.com srv-fde6n
127.0.0.1 localhost

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

/etc/mailname

srv-fde6n.gb1.brightbox.com

If you are interested in another Brightbox subtlety then the DNS records created by Sympl use the server’s private IP addresses rather than the public one. Therefore if they were uploaded automatically, then it would not work. I eventually worked out my error of just copy and pasting and now know to ignore them :slight_smile:

Ah, that would explain it!

If you update /etc/hostname and set the system hostname to the full domain name, and you should be okay from then on.

You may want to ensure the ‘default’ domain (which may be named something like /srv/srv-fde6n.localhost) is renamed at the same time.

Yep, I’m aware of that, and support for proxying and NAT will be coming when I rewrite sympl-dns, as there’s a few services which need to be able to override the typical IP address.