Mailman 3 on Buster?

Has anyone successfully installed Mailman3-full onto Debian Buster? I’ve tried several times, on different setups, never with any success.
The error messages baffle me, so I’ve no idea what it going wrong.
So I wonder if anyone has managed it, and if so, how?

1 Like

OK, I’ll take that as a “no” then. Nobody has got it to work.

Looking at possible alternatives, I found Sympa.

Leaving aside whether it is any good, the name alone ought to make it of interest here!

Has anyone any experience of it? Unfortunately, its docs are a bit dubious, referring to syslog rather than rsyslog, and when it claims to work with Exim, the documentation for that is oddly absent.

Or is there a different mailing list manager that is any good? Just to be clear: this isn’t to send loads of “marketing” messages to unwilling victims, but to run a small email list for a few dozen members.

This is certainty something worth looking at if someonrehas the time/inclination - previous versions of Mailman can be a bit of a headache at the best of times, but there’s a decent chance Mailman 3 may play a little nicer.

Not really an alternative, and to be honest, it doesn’t run great on Sympl (as it’s wholly Docker, and requires some work to get it to play nice alongside Apache) but Discourse (as in what this forum runs on) can be configured to act like a mailing list when it’s got a full mail configuration that Sympl does support.

It’s probably massive overkill for what you’re looking for though.

I’m looking for this as well, I have an old host (bespoke VM) using Mailman 2 and it’s the final thing to move to Sympl. I just want self-service lists that I can post to via email, not much more than that, but there doesn’t seem to be an open source option other than Mailman.

I’m going to try Mailman 3 on a fresh Buster VM with Sympl this week to see if I get anywhere.

Please let me know if you get it to work. I couldn’t!

I gave up on this in the end - Mailman 3 is even more work to install and get running than Mailman 2.

I decided to pay someone to host the lists for me instead. This company has been good so far (quick response to support tickets, a plan to upgrade to MM3 etc.):