Disabling webmail

Problem Description

I don’t use the webmail functionality and I’d like to completely disable it to prevent automated password attempts. Is there a way to do this globally, e.g. by deleting the webmail package or setting configuration option?

Environment

• Sympl Version: 10.0
  • Sympl Testing Version? No
  • Debian Version: Buster
  • Hardware Type? Virtual
  • Hosted On? Mythic Beasts

There’s a sympl-webmail package, so uninstalling/purging should remove it cleanly.

1 Like

Is that likely to break anything else? It looks like it will leave a bunch of packages as no longer required (e.g. libapache2-mod-php, which is very much required given that I have some WordPress sites), although I guess if nothing runs apt autoremove it shouldn’t be a problem.

I had a look at that. libapache2-mod-php is a dependency package, which depends on latest stable PHP version (currently 7.3)
Sympl modules that need PHP depend directly on libapache2-mod-php7.3 which would not get removed when you remove libapache2-mod-php.
# apt-get -s remove packages
will show you everything that will be removed.
If you have aptitude installed,
# aptitude why package-name
will help to show you what depends on what.

I’ve decided not to risk this, apt also wants to remove mariadb-client, php-intl and a bunch of other packages that I don’t want to remove (and when I tried removing sympl-webmail, it didn’t get rid of the /webmail URL anyway).

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.